The NUJ Netherlands offers it members:
- PRACTICAL HELP: your questions answered, the chance to discuss issues of concern and the close support you need in any difficulties with employers or commissioning editors.
- PRESS CARDS: The NUJ can help its members living in the Netherlands obtain a press card. See: Accreditation.
- LEGAL ADVICE: NUJ Netherlands branch can point you to where to get legal advice and protection in the Netherlands, the UK and elsewhere.
- EXPAT ADVICE: tap into decades of experience to help you deal with the intricacies of living and working in the Netherlands, including taxation, social security and freelance status issues.
- WORK OPPORTUNITIES: access to job offers and requests from commissioning editors from across Europe on our Grapevine network. Place your details free on the NUJ Freelance Directory.
- REGULAR COMMUNICATION: keep up to date through the Netherlands branch mailings, the website and our Facebook group.
- SENSE OF COMMUNITY: stave off expatriate and freelance isolation by joining a cohesive community of journalists
- SOCIAL EVENTS: branch meetings, summer socials and other activities
- NATIONAL ORGANISATION: access to all the services of the NUJ, the UK’s largest and most influential journalists’ organisation which include The Journalist magazine, the Freelance Fees guide, low-cost, high-quality training, numerous discounts on a variety of products from Apple computers to insurance and the chance to get involved in the union’s policy-making and campaigning
- INTERNATIONAL FOCUS: the NUJ Netherlands branch brings together Anglophones from across the world and is a great way to keep up with who’s doing what in the global media marketplace
What our members say
I have made good friends by joining the NUJ and enjoy the debates and topical presentations given at the branch meetings. I have found the NUJ is really enriching because you can discuss not only your work with fellow English speakers but also other issues you face as an expat, such as residency or tax regulations.
The sense of solidarity is great. As a branch we have helped several members who were in need by offering legal advice and providing material support. It’s good to know that if I need help, I can turn to the NUJ. — KM